Saturday, November 24, 2012

The importance of the Word for the believer


The vigor of our spiritual life will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Bible in our life and thoughts. I solemnly state this from the experience of the fifty-four years. The first three years after conversion I neglected the Word of God. Since I began to search for it diligently, the blessing has been wonderful. Great has been the blessing from consecutive, diligent, daily study. I look upon it as a lost day when I have not had a good time over the Word of God.” - George Mueller

There are ten life-changing ways to experiece the Bible:

  1. Eat the Word
    Eating involves chewing, considering the words of Jesus:
    'Then Jesus said to them: “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”' (John 6:53-54)
Jeremiah was commanded to eat God's revelation (Jeremiah 15:16; Ezekiel 2:8-3:3)

Job said: “I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.” (Job 23:12)

When we eat the word we digest in order for it to become a part of us. It provides sustenance to our spirit man and causes it to grow in the things of God. The natural food we eat perishes, but the Word of God that we eat endures for eternal life. Jesus said that He is the Bread of Life. (John 6:29,33,35). To eat of Jesus and His Word is to eat for eternal life.

The Word of God is a seed, and like a seed, has within it the potential to produce the faith needed for any situation. A seed must however be sown in order to produce.” Ps. T Wolmarans

No comments:

Post a Comment